Sunday, August 22, 2010

Milan - First Impressions

Actually, I should have titled it "San Donato - First Impressions". We are actually in San Donato, a suburb of Milan. The airport is right near where we are staying, so I haven't actually been into Milan. And I don't think Robert has been into Milan yet, so who knows when we'll go.

My first impressions, in list form:

1. While on the ride from the airport and driving other places, I noticed a lot of graffiti. Robert said they say it's just a way for teenagers to express themselves. I guess I don't look at it that way. It makes the area look more run down, and not as safe. Not that I feel unsafe, that's just the impression graffiti gives.

2. There are a lot of big trees around where we are. The kind that shade the streets. I love that.

3. Italian grocery stores are strange. You have to pay a Euro for a cart, which you get back when you return it. We just picked up some staples, but they don't look like our staples! I'm going to have to get used to that. We bought some beef labeled "American beef". Maybe it will taste like meat back home. We found something that looked like saltine crackers, we'll see what they taste like! We did get a very yummy looking loaf of bread. And some tasty chocolate.

4. McDonalds french fries taste like our fries. But their Coke Zero doesn't taste the same. Plus they give you barely any ice. I like my soda cold, thanks! And in case you're wondering why we were at McDonalds, we were breaking the sabbath, and it was the only restaurant open.

5. Gelatarias are awesome. I tried limone (lemon, for those who couldn't figure that out), and I think it may have been more of an Italian ice. It was very tart and refreshing. Scott got a chocolate gelato, and he thought it was a little too thick. He did like my limone, though. That could become a dangerous addiction!

6. Driving is crazy! I haven't driven anywhere, but I've ridden with Robert. They have roundabouts everywhere! Whoever thought those were a good idea was out of their mind! Plus lots of the roads don't have lines, so it's hard to know if there is one lane or two! I'm not looking forward to driving here!

7. Milan, or rather San Donato, does not look like what I picture an Italian city to look like. I've heard it's more modern looking. We'll have to drive somewhere and see what we can find that looks like what I'm expecting.

That's my first report from Milan. No pictures yet. I haven't really seen anything I wanted to take pictures of. Hopefully I will soon.

Ciao!

6 comments:

Liz said...

YAY! Thanks to the fact that I am also breaking the sabbath, I got to read this post hot off the presses! So great to hear from you! This was all very interesting information! I remember back when you had to use a quarter to get a cart at that store called Auchan's in Houston and you got it back when you returned the cart. Those people (Italians) have made it a point to make adults responsible for bringing back a grocery cart but graffiti is self expression? Strange. I hope you eventually get your automatic car and can use it to drive around and see some more picturesqe parts of Italy...and to get some more of that limon business!

Jennifer said...

That sounds awesome! The food, the trees! The graffiti, well, that sucks. My kids call it "bad writing." I bet you, with your non-blinker-using ways, will be driving like a native in no time. This week is going to be awesome - keep us updated!

Court said...

I'm acutally a fan of the quarter system for carts. It keeps things organized and everyone returns their carts b/c they want their money back.

So far from Italy: Delicious chocolate? Check. Yummy gelatos? Check. Crazy traffic? Check.

I am totally looking forward to more posts!

Shel said...

It's sounds very interesting so far! Awesome! At least you have been able to get out and check it out a bit. Sounds like there is some yummalish stuff :) Church wasn't the same today without y'all :( I'm looking forward to more updates and pictures.

Miss you!!

kimberly said...

I wonder if they had a lot of grocery cart theft? Half the time I don't even have cash or change, so I'd have to just old everything I needed. I guess that would make me spend less money!

I hate roundabouts. Such a waste of space.

I am jealous of your gelato. I want the lemon AND the chocolate! (And all the other flavors, too!)

Kristie said...

I totally thought of Auchan's just like Liz, but it totally stunk if you didn't have a quarter!! I'm so anxious to hear more about Italy - keep the posts coming!! You are sooooooooooooo (is that enough o's?) missed!!