Saturday, May 1, 2010

MTC Day!

Wednesday was the big day! The day Jeffrey entered the MTC! We (Jeffrey, my sister, and I) drove from Salt Lake City down to Provo. When we got to Provo, we went to eat at IHOP. On Wednesdays guys entering the MTC eat for free (up to $10.99). Jeffrey took full advantage of that by ordering the Big Country Breakfast - a small chicken fried steak, scrambled eggs, hash browns, and pancakes! And he finished almost all of it! Here he is anxiously waiting for his food to come.
It was fun going to IHOP because there were other families there, and we were all excited to talk to one another. We actually met another guy going to Jeffrey's mission! That was nice.

After IHOP, and a quick stop at the Missonary Mall to buy Jeffrey a sweater (it was cold in Utah), we headed to the MTC. Here is Jeffrey standing across the street from the MTC (or at least one of the buildings). It's a surprisingly large place.
After taking a few pictures, we drove over to the MTC. They have changed the way missionaries are dropped off. You used to go in for a meeting, but now you just drop them at the curb. When I first heard that, I was disappointed. I wanted to go in for a meeting, like we got to do with Brian. But now that I have done both ways, I think I prefer this way. It's less emotional. And it's kind of cool, because as you drive along, there are missionaries lining the road, ready to greet the incoming missionaries and help them with their bags. That was a lot of fun.

After being told to pull over to the curb, we got Jeffrey's bags out of the trunk, gave him more hugs, and then he left. Here he is, walking off with his helper/guide.
My sister and I then got back in the car and drove out of the MTC, waving at all of the missionaries as we drove along. Leaving Jeffrey behind to begin his mission.

So far I'm doing okay. I'm not sure it has really sunk in yet. It will probably hit me next week. It's a good thing GNO is coming up.

3 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Good luck. Call if you need anything.

Court said...

You will do great! You've done this before and you can do it again.

I love that photo of Jeffrey pulling his brand new luggage, all enthusiastic and ready to go to work. :)

jamie said...

i can't believe it! he will be an amazing missionary.