Monday, December 21, 2009

Taste of Texas

On Saturday, I took the kids on our annual Christmas pilgrimage to our favorite restaurant:

Man, I love that place! It is beautiful any time you go, but at Christmas it is magical. They remove every decoration in the restaurant (and it's a BIG place), and replace them with Christmas decorations and lights. You could spend hours admiring the decorating job - all done by their employees, by the way.

Then there's the food. Starting off with a luscious salad bar with lots of veggies, fruit, giant blocks of cheese, and mini loaves of bread that are delicious. Then a wondrous steak for a main course. Tender and cooked to perfection with a yummy baked potato side. Then we conclude with a perusal of their dessert tray. Sigh. So much to choose from, so little room. We ended up with an 8-inch slice of chocolate cake, a piece of key lime pie, a piece of Snickers pie, and two pieces of a white and dark chocolate mousse cake. Scrumptious!! And we all brought home leftovers, so we still have stuff to savor!

Plus, our waiter, Steve, was excellent. We've always had good waiters there, but I think he's been my favorite.

Was it worth the 1 hour and 20 minute wait (even though we got there before 5:00)? You betcha!

11 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

We were going to go there for our Anniversary dinner on Sat - at 5:30 and when I called they said the wait time was 2 hours and they didn't take reservations. Man I love the place ... but not that much! We went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse instead - also yummy.

kimberly said...

I MISS MY LEFTOVERS! *cries*

Kristie said...

Yum! I love their salad bar!

Court said...

They really do have great food and great service. What an excellent tradition...mind if I borrow that one?

Laura said...

Help yourself, Courtney! Just don't go the after Christmas. We did that last year and discovered they take down the deocrations the day after Christmas! No waiting for New Year's for them!

Rhonda said...

I can't believe I lived there for 12 years and never went to that restaurant. Jared taunted me today by telling me that he had Blue Bell Icecream when he was in Freeport. Oh, I miss my Blue Bell!

Jennifer said...

Hello, people! Eight inch chocolate pie and y'all are talking about SALAD? Are you even Americans? (that last part I stole from Liz. she is so funny!)

Laura said...

Believe me, Jen, the whole meal is just a build up to the desserts! Notice, 5 of us went, and we bought 5 desserts - all pretty large. Plus, since we were getting full we each brought about half our dessert home, and I got to enjoy the rest of my Key Lime Pie yesterday! Just as good the 2nd day!

Andrea Dent said...

On the way to the airport, Matt and I both commented on the fact that we didn't make it to Taste of Texas this Christmas...sad. I'm glad you got to enjoy it though! YUM!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

I think I remember you talking about this place last year and I am so mad I've never tried it! sounds heavenly

Shel said...

I have never been there at Christmastime... boo hoo!! BUT..I still have time, though I doubt we'll make it. Oh how heavenly it sounds though!