Monday, October 12, 2009

House Hunters

I like to watch the show "House Hunters" on HGTV, but sometimes it makes me angry.  Tonight, for instance.  A couple is looking for their first house.  They look to be in their mid-twenties.  Their budget is up to $450,000.  They just looked at a nice house for $366,000.  What did they think of it?  Well, it was nice, but...

"There's no waterfall in the pool area."
"I don't really like the laminate counter top - we'd have to change that."
"I really want stainless appliances, not these white ones."
"I'm not fond of these white cabinets, but with the money we're saving that would be an easy fix."

Seriously, do they not realize that they sound like selfish, spoiled brats?  These people are buying a first home that is nicer than most people will ever have!  And they are complaining!  Episodes like this one make me wish I could reach in the TV and smack them both upside the head!!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I've never watched that show but I can't believe anyone can afford to spend that kind of money on a house let alone first time home buyers in their twenties. It boggles the mind.

Kristie said...

I totally agree with you on those shows! I watch them every once in a while and I always feel the same way. I will probably never have granite countertops or even decent flooring but there are times that I absolutely love my home because this is were my family lives. So these young kids haven't figured out what really matters!! It makes me sad for the state of the world.

mmmandy! said...

I can't watch that show for those very reasons! Drives me nuts!!

Court said...

I've decided that I'm sick of TV. It's another colossal waste of time.

Yes, I've started making a list of everything deemed worthy of being considered a colossal waste of time.

So far I've got:
typing 6 pages of dialogue
TV

Laura said...

Glad my blog has been helpful to you, Courtney!

Court said...

How are those cookies coming, Laura? I'm practicing my song. :)

Laura said...

They will be there! You will let some of the other leaders have some too, won't you? I'll be bringing 5 dozen.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

wow, that's crazy. i'd like a house less than 100k please. :)

jamie said...

this is a good reminder for me, actually. you saw the pictures of our house--nothing spectacular, right? (meaning, nothing new/updated.) however, since being in other people's houses here that are in our same life stage and EVERYONE has brand new EVERYTHING it's hard not to compare ourselves and also maybe feel a bit...embarrassed of the house we bought.

but the other day i stepped back and realized that i really love our house. and you're right, kristie, really all that matters is that your family feels loved in your house and that other people can feel the Spirit in your house.

Jennifer said...

All those people will be foreclosed on within 3 years.