Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Canasta

As I've mentioned before, there is a group of American women here whose husbands are all on the same project. We get together at a coffee shop once a week to visit and sometimes commiserate about life in Italy. (As an aside, I usually get water or Coke Light there, but I once had the thickest cup of hot chocolate EVER! My spoon was standing straight up! It was impossible to drink but would have tasted great over ice cream!)

A couple of months ago, some of us got together and played the card game canasta. The last time I played canasta was at my grandma's house when I was a teenager. It was a game that my cousins and I loved to play. Only one of the group had played recently, so the rest of us learned (or relearned) together.

I quickly remembered why I loved canasta when I was younger! It's a fun card game, with some very strange rules. It seems complicated when you're first learning how to play, but it's pretty easy to pick up.

Now we try to play at least once a week. I really enjoy those afternoons. They are some of the high points of my weeks. Fun with the ladies! Something I really need!

It's not Tuesday Evening Book Club, but it's a good substitute until August!

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

That sounds like a blast. I enjoy card games but have never played Canasta.

Alisha Oldroyd said...

Glad you found a group of girlfriends over there. They are, of course, surely not as much fun as us but glad it gives you something to look forward to each week! Can't wait to have you back!

Kristie said...

Trying to replace us - huh?? Glad you have some good friends to hang with!!! Can't wait til August.

Jennifer said...

How fun! I would be eating/drinking that hot chocolate weekly. Daily. Meally (is that a word?).

Virginia said...

We play canasta whenever my whole family gets together. Either that or a game called Hand and Foot. Some of the rules are just a little different. Once you play your "hand" out, then you can pick up your "foot". The fun part is finding out whether your foot helps or hurts you!

Laura said...

Virginia, we are actually playing Hand and Foot. I had never played that variation before, but I really like it.