Thursday, May 12, 2011

I'm Not a Good Tourist

I have discovered something during this time we've lived in Italy. I'm not a very good tourist. I like the idea of visiting famous places, and it's nice to be able to say I've been to famous places, but I don't really enjoy a lot of the time at the famous places. Here are some reasons why:

1. I don't like lines, and there are usually long lines where we go because we're going to the places all of the tourists want to go.

2. I don't like crowds inside buildings. The Palace at Versailles and the Vatican Museum both about did me in. I start to get kind of claustrophobic when I can't move anywhere because the crowd is too big.

3. I get tired of museums, monuments, and churches. But I feel like I should go in the museums, monuments, and churches because they're famous! So I go, but after a while all of the art seems to look the same and all of the churches seem to look the same and I just want to go home.

4. I'm out of shape. I'll freely admit that. And being a good tourist requires A LOT of walking. Plus, in the last 5 years or so, I've fallen a couple of times and probably done some damage to my knees. They don't hurt when I walk, but they do hurt when I go up or down stairs. Back in Richmond, I rarely climbed stairs because I didn't go a lot of places with stairs, but they are EVERYWHERE in Europe! And I mean EVERYWHERE! Lots and lots of stairs. In the museums, in the subways, on the streets, in the restaurants - you get the picture.

I know I should be so grateful for this chance I've had to see some famous places. Hopefully in time I'll just remember the amazing things we've seen and appreciate this opportunity we've had.

I'm just kind of sorry that this opportunity didn't go to someone who would have made the most of every moment.

1 comment:

jamie said...

i understand what you mean about all that stuff you don't like about being a tourist. but you're getting something that no tourist gets and that's the experience of actually living in the place and learning about the people and culture and how they really are from day to day. you're having a whole different and probably much more rewarding experience.