Monday, January 3, 2011

Florence

Last week we went to Florence, Italy for 3 days. I have to say, Florence is a beautiful city. We spent all of our time in the old City Center, and to me it was the picturesque Italian city I have been expecting to see ever since we got here.

We got there late Monday afternoon and just wandered around the city center. There were a lot of other people out and it was fun to mingle with the crowds.

The next morning we went to the Uffizi, which is considered by many to be the most famous museum in Italy. There was a lot of religious art and a lot of paintings of nudes. It was interesting to go through the museum, but I wish they would have hung signs over the really famous paintings letting us know to stop and look at those! I enjoyed the museum to a certain extent. I have to admit that after a while all the paintings started to look alike and I (along with Brian and Scott) were ready to leave! No photographs are allowed in the museums, which is understandable. Well, actually we were allowed to take a picture in the Uffizi, looking out their window at the scene below:
That's the Ponte Vecchio. It's a very old pedestrian only bridge. It's lined by very exclusive gold and silver jewelry stores. We walked across the bridge, but like most of the other people we just looked in the shop windows. There seemed to be very few people actually in the stores!

Here's a picture of the kids on the Ponte Vecchio looking back towards the Uffizi.
The rest of that day was spent eating lunch (which takes at least an hour and a half since restaurants in Italy do not believe in quick service), and shopping. Oh yes, shopping. We all found some things we wanted to buy at these great little stalls they had set up in a piazza. Kimberly and I really enjoyed ourselves!

The next day we went to see Florence's Duomo. A Duomo is essentially a large cathedral, and many cities in Italy have one. Florence's Duomo looks very different from Milan's Duomo, but they are both beautiful. In this picture, the building on the left is the cathedral, the building in the middle is the bell tower, and the building on the right is the baptistry.
These are replicas of the gold doors of the baptistry. The originals are in a museum somewhere, but even the replicas were pretty impressive.
It's possible to climb the almost 400 stairs to the dome of the Duomo. Possible for the kids anyway. Robert and I waited below, rather than risk a heart attack mid-climb! I sent Brian up with my camera. Here's a picture of the sort of steps they were climbing. Looking at those makes me know I made the right choice to stay on the ground!
This is one of the domes in the Duomo. Part way up the steps, there was a path that led around the Duomo. Brian was able to take this picture from the walkway.
Here's one of the pictures Brian took of the view from the top of the Duomo. Beautiful, isn't it. I would have loved to have seen those views, but like you, I'll have to be content with pictures.
For me, I think the highlight of the trip to Florence was going to see Michelangelo's sculpture of David. It is a beautiful sculpture. Much larger than I thought. It is close to 20 feet tall and stood on a base that was about that tall. I was amazed at the incredible detail. You could see where Michelangelo had carved the veins in David's arms and hands. I can see why people say it's the most beautiful sculpture in the world.

As I said, we couldn't take pictures in the museums, but in one of the piazzas they have a copy to the sculpture. It's not as amazing as the original, but it's still pretty impressive.
After that, we left Florence and headed elsewhere. Stay tuned for our adventures in Lucca and Pisa.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

How neat to have most of your family with you to enjoy the sights! Are you having to travel far?

Lori Hurst said...

What a wonderful trip! Beautiful photos! I will have to get back to Italy ... we obviously didn't see enough when we were there before!

Laura said...

Rhonda, Florence was about a 3 hour drive. Lucca, the little town we stayed in Wednesday night, was an hour from Florence. Pisa was about 30 minutes from Lucca. And it took us about 3 hours to drive back to Milan. So it wasn't too bad.

We're probably going to go to Rome for a few days while Brian is still here. We will probably take the train down there instead of driving for 6 hours and then worrying about parking the car. The high speed train only takes about 3-1/2 hours.

Jennifer said...

That is so amazing! I wish i could have toured with y'all. I would love to see the David. I'm sure it is more impressive than the refrigerator magnet I gave to a friend, although the magnet had clothes you could dress him up in ;-)

Laura said...

Jennifer, Kimberly bought two of those David magnets with clothes! One for her and one for a friend. She also bought a Venus in the clamshell magnet with clothes. It's amazing to me that they sell those in the museum gift shop. Of course, they also sell postcards that feature certain parts of David's anatomy...

Susan Benford said...

Laura,

Hope this isn't too late for you and your family... but here's a "Famous Paintings ebook" that lists the famous paintings most discussed by leading art historians. You can sort it by museum, so you WILL know what to see when you're there!

Here's the link to it: http://www.themasterpiececards.com/famous-paintings-ebook-8/

Enjoy your incredible trip!

Kristie said...

It all sounds fabualous! I wish I could afford to come visit you! Enjoy all your trips!

jamie said...

i am DYING over how lucky you are to be living over there!!! i hope you relish every moment. and thanks for posting so many pictures so we can experience it vicariously.