Saturday, April 7, 2012

Thomas Kinkade

Thomas Kinkade passed away today. He was only 54 - so young.

I love his art. I know a lot of people don't like it, but looking at his paintings makes me happy. I am fortunate to own reproductions of two of his pieces. The one below, Clearing Storms, is my favorite. It's hanging above my fireplace and probably will hang there as long as I'm around.
My post today is not really about his art but about how cruel people can be. A few hours after hearing that he had died, I went on Twitter and searched for his name. I wish I could say I was surprised by the many cruel comments I read, but I really wasn't.

I don't care if you don't like his work. I understand he wasn't to everyone's taste. But it would be nice if people could show some respect for a man who just died. Or maybe consider the fact that he has a family that is mourning his loss right now.

What happened to good old fashioned human decency?

RIP, Thomas Kinkade. I, along with millions of others, will miss you and your tremendous talent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so loved Thomas Kinkades paintings and the way he described life as he thought it should be lived. I have One framed print, a calendar, 2 books, a round wall clock and postcards.
I cannot believe anyone could write
say something negative about this man. His personal life seemed to be filled with so much love.
I often wanted to live in a house like one of his cottages.
This man was a Gift to Our World.
I think he is gone way too soon.
And passing away alone, makes me even sadder.
I know he is in Gods arms now.
Heart Hugs.

Jennifer said...

People are mean. Especially to famous people. I was just admiring that very painting above your mantel the other night, and I remembered this post and that I probably hadn't commented, so I'm commenting now.