Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Getting to Church

Robert is in Houston right now, which meant that we had no ride to church on Sunday. As I've mentioned before, I will drive in my suburban area, but I refuse to drive into Milan. And I especially refuse to drive 45 minutes into Milan! The many roundabouts along with the many Italian drivers who don't understand the meaning of the word "lane" really stress me out. So Scott and I had to find another way to church.

There's another American LDS couple that live close to us. Okay, so they're pretty much the only other American couple in our ward, other than some missionaries. They have been taking the subway to church, so Scott and I decided to tag along with them.

I picked them up on Sunday afternoon and drove us all to the Metro station in San Donato. We took the yellow line into the Duomo, which is in the center of Milan. We then changed to the red line and rode that 10 stops out to where the chapel is. After exiting the Metro, it was a short 5 to 7 minute walk to the chapel. After church, we reversed the whole process.

It wasn't bad taking the subway to church. It took a little over an hour each way, as opposed to the 45 - 50 minutes it takes to drive. I felt kind of like a native - using the Metro to actually get to a destination! It would have been nice if I could have found a seat instead of having to stand the whole way both directions. Who knew the Metro was so popular on a Sunday afternoon!

The worst part of the whole experience? Having the elevator in the parking garage be closed when we got back from church. I could have done without having to climb to the fourth story to get the car!

2 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

You will learn to LOVE the metro! I LOVE the metro in every European city I go to ... it is such a shame we don't have it where we live.

Getting to church doesn't sound fun. When we were living in Norway - it was only about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes away. What was maddening was there was a church the middle of downtown Oslo that was only 15 minutes away ... we could never figure that one out ...

Jennifer said...

After my trip to NYC this Christmas, I can understand this post. I was nervous a little about the subway, but then I could see that it was a pretty sweet arrangement. You are very dedicated - I might have just skipped church.